Project Aims

  • <$10,000 conversion
  • Top speed of +100kph
  • Range of +100km
  • Make a bike that is able to be registered
  • Make the bike look like the standard petrol version

Design Specification

  • Regenerative braking
  • 1990 Suzuki Across
  • 216VDC @ 15A (~3.2kw) VRLA battery pack (~90kg) for proof of concept
  • 3.3kw 3 phase induction motor

Friday, March 6, 2009

Busy year so far

This year has been very busy with work and house renovations, unfortunately it's taking time away from the bike project. I have updated the schematic and sourced a better suited IGBT for the drivers and added some on board capacitance after some good feedback(thanks Will). I am just setting up my subversion server and an ftp server here so that I can host the project files a bit easier.
I have setup a workbench and purchased some steel to make up the motor brackets. I am just saving some money for the batteries and components for the motor controller. I have made up a small low power encoder(this is a for another project) which will be able to detect motor direction and speed. It will have 2 encoder counts per revolution.
So the todo list ATM is:
- Purchase battery's and battery charger
- Make motor brackets
- Make battery cradle
- Extend chain by 2 links
- Make and test motor controller(lot of work here, build prototype and write software)

2 comments:

Kermit T. Car said...

Hi Bradley,

Looking forward to hearing about your progress. I'd be interested in helping out a bit more as things go. Particularly, I'm interested in inverter design and motor drive algorithms. Please drop me a line if you are interested. I'm in the US, so email is probably best. You can find my email on the evalbum page http://www.evalbum.com/1421 (I don't want to leave it here because of spam)

Cheers,
Will

toms said...

Dear Bradley,

Really amazing stuff. i am intersted to see your completed project.

TOm