Project Aims

  • <$10,000 conversion
  • Top speed of +100kph
  • Range of +100km
  • Make a bike that is able to be registered
  • Make the bike look like the standard petrol version

Design Specification

  • Regenerative braking
  • 1990 Suzuki Across
  • 216VDC @ 15A (~3.2kw) VRLA battery pack (~90kg) for proof of concept
  • 3.3kw 3 phase induction motor

Monday, November 24, 2008

Update On Battery Pack

After a long break I am looking at getting back into the bike conversion (been very busy with work and family). I am itching for a ride everytime I see the dust covered Across. I have re-evaluated the battery pack and after seeing some other conversions and considering the cost of the lithium batteries. I am now looking at a 336VDC @ 7AH battery pack. This will be either gel or SLA for cost purposes to begin with and then upgraded to a lighter and higher powered lithium pack if all goes well.
Running the battery pack at this voltage will allow for a simpler 3-phase motor controller since I won't have to increase the voltage. I can simply use PWM to lower the voltage and frequency to the required levels. The motor will be run in delta configuration which requires 230V AC and then re-connect each of the windings so that I run them in parallel not series so this will end up requiring ~120VAC which is about 340Vp-p and within the battery pack voltage.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice project! I'll be waiting to see the post of the schematic for your home made 3 phase controller.